Thanks to pixabay.com for the image
It is that time of year again. The sun is shining, warm nights and cooling rains all add to the overall pleasant feelings associated with the spring and summer months. Along with these, however, come the hoards of buzzing and insatiable mosquitoes. There is no need to fret, though, there are some simple things that can be done to make your home a mosquito-free zone. Here is a list of some precautions and tips to keep mosquitoes at bay this summer.
Mosquitoes need water to lay eggs and hatch them. Knowing this can help keep you alert to any stagnant water that is just sitting around the yard. Not sure where to start or what to do about it? These are some easy mosquito control tips that can be done on a regular basis to keep those annoying insects out.
- Trash cans. After a rain, water will inevitably collect in just about any container. Garbage cans are notorious for this. One way to prevent mosquitoes from taking advantage of this is to drill a hole in the bottom of the bin. This allows water to drain and forces the bugs to go elsewhere.
- Pools, water features and birdbaths. Two favorite backyard ornaments in the summertime can become a veritable breeding ground for mosquitoes. If you have a pool, keeping it clean and chlorinated will keep mosquitoes away. For birdbaths, be sure to change the water regularly, and do not just let water sit for days. Fountains and garden pools are attractive and as long as the water is moving, like through aeration, mosquitoes will stay away. Stocking fish that eat insects is another way to guard against this pest.
- Gutters. Clean out gutters to prevent moisture from collecting into stagnant pools. This will not only lengthen the life of the gutter but will prevent mosquitoes from breeding there.
- Check for standing water in things like potted plants, pet bowls, and other items that may hold water – even if it is shallow. After a rain, if you notice puddles that do not absorb right away, fill in the land to level it off.
- Protecting yourself and your family from mosquitoes is easy. They are active at dawn and dusk. So if you decide to go out at those times, wear long sleeves and long pants. Repellents can also be helpful at keeping mosquitoes at bay.
Summer is a time of fun and sun. Being outdoors is one of the things that makes this season so appealing. By keeping mosquitoes away, you can make your summer that much more pleasant and worry free. By following a few simple suggestions and protecting your family, you will not have to give those buzzing little insects another thought. Enjoy the warm weather with nothing to get in the way of your outdoor activities.